Early Years Foundation Stage
Mrs Amanda Jones
Class Teacher - Crinnis, EYFS Lead
Mrs Lisa Phillips
Class Teacher - Polmear
At Charlestown Primary School we believe in giving children the best possible start to their education. It is our intent that children who enter our EYFS classes develop physically, cognitively, verbally and emotionally. We know that our children enter Charlestown EYFS from a wide range of different settings and life experiences and that each child is unique. Therefore, we aim to plan teaching and learning opportunities to address this and allow all children to reach their full potential.
Our Intent is as follows:
- Develop a positive, inclusive and caring atmosphere where children feel safe, secure and happy.
- Support children to reach their full potential and be the best that they can be.
- Provide a broad and balanced curriculum rich in stories and language.
- Ensure that our adults play and interact with children, adults model language communication and introduce new vocabulary.
- Create stimulating learning environments.
- Develop a two-way partnership with families built on mutual respect and good communication.
- Create a love for outdoor learning.
- Provide children with the best possible start to school and ensure they are ready for Year 1.
- Ensure children leave EYFS as skillful communicators and happy, confident, curious learners.
We have two Reception classes at Charlestown Primary School, Polmear Class and Crinnis Class.
Children attend from a wide range of childcare providers, all of which we are building links with and visit in the summer term prior to the new academic year.
We recognise the importance of children learning through play. Adults play alongside children supporting language and communication development and introducing new vocabulary.
Outdoor learning plays a big part in EYFS. Our environments are varied including a climbing frame, a sand pit, a nature area and mud kitchen. Weekly woodland session are planned and run in the school woodland area. The activities support a range of skills, social interactions and cooperation.
Have a look at our learning environments and how much fun we have.
Our School Day
We deliver our curriculum through a balance of child-initiated play, whole class teaching and small group adult led work.
Daily phonics is taught through the Read Write Inc program.
The children take part in daily Maths lessons.
To promote healthy living a daily healthy snack is provided.
We have started this school year with an exciting change for our 'Early Years Foundation Stage'. In July 2021 the government released a document of 'Curriculum Guidance' for the 'Early Years Foundation Stage'.