At Charlestown Primary School, we believe that the development of mathematical skills is a
basic entitlement for all pupils and that all of the pupils should receive an appropriate
and challenging curriculum in order to reach their full potential.
Mathematics helps children to have a better understanding of the world around them
through their ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to
understand relationships and patterns in both number and space in their everyday lives.
• To develop a positive attitude to mathematics through varied experiences to
enable every child to reach their full potential;
• To meet the requirements set out in The National Curriculum document for each
• To develop the skills, knowledge and understanding through becoming thinkers and
• To provide a relevant, challenging and enjoyable curriculum;
• To promote enjoyment of learning through practical activity, exploration and
• To differentiate planning to suit the needs of individuals, through activities,
questioning, support, resources and challenges, where appropriate;
• To update staff on resources available, training and development opportunities;
• To promote confidence and competence by creating an ‘I can (do this)’ ethos in
classrooms and the school in general; and
• To understand the importance of mathematics in everyday life.